Butter is a very common ingredient that we use daily. And most of the time we buy it from grocery store, though its easy to make at home. So I am here to explain how to make butter.
I usually get full fat milk packs, and regularly use milk cooker for heating/ pasteurize it. Milk Cooker differs from normal Pressure Cooker. Milk Cooker, that’s shown in the below picture usually works like a double boiler. This Cooker has 2 layers in which 1 layer is filled with water and other is filled with milk.
When heating the milk in it, the water starts to heat and then the milk slowly starts to heat. So that some fat in the milk forms a layer at the top. This layer need to be collected and stored in air tight container in freezer. When there is approximately 200 grams of milk fat layers, you can start making Butter.
Homemade Butter is so easy to make, once you start collecting fat layers daily. Always use full fat Milk to make it, so that you get that smooth texture.
- 1 lt Whole Milk/ Full Fat Milk
- 200 g Milk Fat Layers (aadai in tamil)
- 300 ml Water approx.
I usually shop Whole Milk for daily usage and heat it in Milk Cooker.
Once the milk is fully hot enough the cooker will whistle.
After Whistling, keep in low Flame until it whistles again. This makes the milk fat layer very thick.
Let it cool down to room temperature.
Then refrigerate it 3-4 hrs until its completely cool. You can see the milk fat layer is very thick.
Collect it daily in air tight container and store in freezer for at least 15 days.
The Day before you are ready to make Butter, keep the container in fridge to defrost it.
It should be completely defrosted, but still chill (that's the trick to get soft butter)
Add 3-4 tbsp of fat layers in a blender or mixer. Pulse it for 5 secs. It will look creamy.
Add 1 cup Water to it and pulse it for 20 secs then stop.
Repeat it until you see clusters of butter that floats on top. Yes!! That's it, Butter is Ready.
Collect it in an air tight container and wash it once or twice to make it even clear.
Smooth Butter is ready, store in freezer for later use.
Points to Remember:
- The Collected Milk Fat Layers should be very chill. If it’s not chill enough, keep it in freezer for 10 min, then continue.
- To get smooth Butter, use the milk fat layers within 20 days.
- You can also use regular vessel to boil milk. But using milk cooker gives a thick layer of milk fat.
- Make it a daily habit to collect the milk fat layers in air tight container and store it in freezer.
- Add 1 tbsp Curd on the first day when you start collecting the fat layers. This helps to store it for more days.
- Butter will start to float in clusters when it’s ready.
- After making Butter, wash it twice to remove the extra layers.
- You can use this homemade Butter to make Ghee, like I do.