Today I am going to share a Black Velvet cake with Swiss meringue buttercream recipe.
A Black Velvet cake is nothing but a regular cake with a slightly different flavour but the name comes from the black food coloring added to it. You can also add more of the dark chocolate powder to it to get that color. But, be careful it gives out a very dark cake with a little of bitter taste. So, adjust it to your liking. Also, we can add licorice or jelly beans if you like the taste. I tried it with Ossoro’s charcoal essence.
Coming to charcoal, my first thought was who puts charcoal in a cake? But, apparently there are quite a few recipes out there with charcoal powder. So, why not give it a try!.
Did you know?
Charcoal makes you sleepy. If you have something toxic like poison and then have activated charcoal /cake as your last meal, you won’t die?!! Because, charcoal binds itself to the toxins. Charcoal is not absorbed by the stomach both are sent out as feces.
Quick thought!- You can use this technique if somebody had poison accidentally! (I am not sure how well this works but if it does please message me I will learn something then!).
Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
Now to the meringue, it is made by mixing the egg whites and sugar. You can add flavoring agent like vanilla or almond or anything to your liking but beware! if it is oil based, the excess fat from the oil may prevent it from forming a foam. The key to making the good meringue is the formation of stiff peaks, which means the mixture has to be beaten for quite a long time. So, doing it hand mixer takes an immense amount of patience. I suggest an Stand mixer. This can be made an stored for up to two months in the freezer.
So, in short I must say this cake is a work of art!. That you tend to fall in love with, once you taste it!.
Black Velvet Cake with Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Electric Beater
- 325 g (2 + 1/2 cup) All Purpose Flour or Maida
- 270 g (1 + 1/2 cup) Castor Sugar
- 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 375 ml (1 + 1/2 cup) Oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Ossoro's Vanilla Bourbon
- 1/2 tsp Ossoro's Charcoal Essence
- 1/2 tsp Black Gel Color (you can also use liquid color)
Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
- 2 Egg Whites
- 150 g Castor Sugar
- 200 g Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp Ossoro's Vanilla Bourbon
- Preheat oven to 200 C for 10 minutes. Prepare 2, 6" pans by applying oil and butter paper.
- Measure and mix Flour, Baking Soda, Salt and cocoa powder.
- In another bowl, mix Oil and sugar.
- Add Eggs, Vanilla Essence and Ossoro's Charcoal Essence and mix well.
- Add in Buttermilk and vinegar, whisk it.
- Add in the Dry Ingredients and Whisk till no lumps.
- Whisk in Black Color and mix well.
- Pour in the prepared pans and tap a little.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely.
How to make Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
- Ensure that Butter is at room temperature.
- Separate the Egg Whites carefully from Yolks.
- Using double boil method, heat the Egg Whites and Sugar till its dissolved.
- Whisk the Whites consistently, so it doesn't over cook.
- Rub between your fingers for smooth textures, so that the sugar is dissolved perfectly.
- As soon as its dissolved, remove from heat and start beating using an electric beater.
- Beat until it comes to room temperature, until its smooth and white for about 10-15 minutes.
- While the beater is still running, add the butter 1 tsp at a time.
- Don't rush the Butter, just add slowly. (here is where i prefer using a stand mixer)
- Once Butter is all over, add in the Vanilla. By this time cream should be stiff and ready.
- Beat just till mixed. Cream can be done before and stored upto 1 week in fridge.
- Layer the cake with cream and top it with chocolate shreds.