I love cherries and the desserts made out of it. Do you love cherries too? If yes, this recipe is for you. Cherry Galette – Healthy – Buckwheat enhances the taste of cherry and this dessert is perfect for a sweet ending after a good meal.
Cherry and I have a great love story. During my childhood days, while I hated eating all other fruits, I still loved cherry from the bottom of my heart and the obsession grew as I grew. After I started baking, I started trying various delicacies using cherries and this Healthy Cherry Galette has to be one of my favorites. I’m sure it’s going to be your favorite too.
What are the health benefits?
We all eat cherries for its taste and a lot of us do not know how beneficial it is. Cherries are good as stress busters – it releases hypertension. It contains a hormone called melatonin which is good for insomniacs. If you are facing issues to sleep well, you must try cherries. It will give you a peaceful sleep. It is good for the health of your heart too. The best part is that it has weight loss properties and anti-ageing properties which are much needed. We spend hell lot of money on face creams to avoid ageing. You can easily take care of it through cherries. Do you need more reasons to make this Cherry Galette – healthy – buckwheat
This recipe is completely healthy as I have used whole wheat flour and buckwheat flour along with brown sugar and a lot of cherries. If you are on a diet, it is completely okay to try this out. I know you can’t wait for the recipe already. Here we go.
Healthy Cherry Galette
To make Galette:
- 3/4 cup Buck wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 112 g (1/2 cup) Cold Unsalted Butter (soft)
- 80 g (1/2 cup) Brown Sugar
- 1 or 2 tbsp Chilled Water
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 tsp Star Anise Powder
- 2 tbsp Milk (for brushing)
- 1 tbsp Amaranth Seeds (for topping)
To make filling:
- 1/2 kg Cherry
- 1 1/2 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
To make Galette dough:
- In a bowl, whisk in flour, cinnamon and star anise powder and brown sugar.
- Add in cold butter and mix it till looks like crumbs.
- Add in chilled water 1 tbsp at a time to make a dough. If needed add 1 more tbsp of water.
- Refrigerate the dough for an hour until firm.
- Prepare the cherry filling by mixing in all ingredients and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C for 10 minutes. Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Make 6-8 balls out of the dough. Based on the size it may vary.
- Roll it 1/4 inch thick and place the filling only in the middle by leaving 1 inch surrounding space to close the galette.
- Fold the edges over, by overlapping slightly.
- On the sides, brush it with milk and sprinkle amaranth seeds. Alternatively you can use brown sugar or slivered almonds for sprinkling.
- Repeat it for all the dough.
- Place it in the baking tray and bake it for 25-30 minutes, until the edges are brown.
- It tasted damn good with Ice cream.
I had fun making Healthy Cherry Galette. Everyone at my home loved it. You can go a little overboard and eat this to your heart’s content if you have a sweet tooth and not worry about the weight at all. Have a fun day!