As soon as you read the title ‘ Crumb topped Mini Plum Pies’, I know you would be drooling! Whenever I hover my eyes over the glass shelves in the bakery, this catches my attention. Wondering what is it? Tarts and Pies! Look at them, they are so cute and it seems like they are calling us out saying ‘Look at me. I am so cute and delicious too’. Do you remember about the Kid’s Delight event with the theme of birthday party treats? I would say, this recipe is well qualified for it by it’s adorable look! You can check Srivalli’s first Kids Delight Event and know how it all started!
Making jam is one of my favorite things to do. So, once I made loads of plum jam I noticed that I have more of plums than needed. Since my love for pies and tarts are never ending, I thought of using plums for the pies. There the idea of crumb topped mini plum pies took birth. I am not sure what took people so long to realize that plums can be used for pies. Because they are just perfect for the filling!
The juicy, bright, colorful, aromatic, rustic effect of the pie will melt your heart. The crumb and filling of plum when baked together gives a fantastic taste that you would be addicted to. I also used chopped almonds for the topping. Who wouldn’t love the crunchy almonds on the crumb topped mini plum pies? If you are not so good with the berries and plums, you can use any other seasonal fruit for the filling. I keep experimenting on them and I have figured out that it tastes very well with almost all the fruits.
Oh! You can also do magic with this recipe. You can either make the tarts as described in this blog or you can avoid the crumb topping and roll the same dough and top it for a neat finish. I know you would already be drowned in the imagination of crumb topped mini plum pies. Let’s not wait. Come let us jump right into the recipe.
Check my few other bakes that kids will love:
Do share the images once you bake this and I will see you all again with another drooling recipe!
Crumb Topped Mini Plum Pie
For the Pie Crust:
- 113 g (1/2 cup) Unsalted Butter
- 160 g (1 + 1/4 cup) All purpose Flour / Maida
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Castor Sugar
- 2-4 tbsp Ice Cold Water
- 5-8 medium size Plums
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Flour
Instant Crumb Topping:
- 2 tbsp same pie dough
- 2 tbsp Chopped Almonds
- 2 tbsp Sugar
Make Pie Crust:
- Mix Flour, salt and sugar.
- Add in butter and rub between your hands to make it look crumbs.
- If its too dry, add in the 1 tbsp of ice water at time to make a dough. (I used 2 tbsp water)
- Cling wrap and reserve it until use.
Make Instant Crumb Topping:
- Take 2 tbsp of this same pie dough.
- Mix all other ingredients and make it crumbs.
- Reserve it while you make the filling.
Make the Filling:
- Pit the Plums and chop it if you like.
- Mix all other ingredients and reserve.
Make the Mini Pies:
- Roll the dough to 1/4" and using a big round cutter cut 6 circles.
- Prepare a cupcake tray by applying oil.
- Press the cut dough into the tray and pinch the top edges. Repeat the same for all.
- Fill it with the prepared filling. Try to fill only to 3/4th, it may overflow and look a bit nasty like mine.
- Top it with the crumb topping.
- Bake it for 15-20 min until the top looks golden brown.
- Before you try to remove from pan, let it cool for a while!