Easiest Eclair Pastry with step by step pictures is very easy to make if you follow the pictures.
Eclair is an oblong pastry made from Choux Dough filled with Pastry Cream and topped with Chocolate icing. Pastashu is the Albanian name for Eclair.
Albanians has a strong tradition of home baking. They make a wide range of Desserts and Pastries. Pastashu / Eclair is one such dessert that’s enjoyed so much.
Eclair is baked till crisp and hollow inside. Once cooled, it is filled with vanilla, coffee, chocolate custard or whipped cream and glazed with Icing.
Filing and topping options are endless. If you just start to think of there are endless was using fruits, fruit jams, nuts or nut butters, and of course chocolates, coffee, matcha…Oh! my mind just goes on…
It’s my second post for “BM#93” under the topic “Pick 1 Alphabet, 3 Countries”. Pastashu Pastry is so popular in Albania.
You can check my previous post about Argentinean Alfajores Biscuits , a crunchy biscuits sandwiched with dulce de leche filling.
Pastashu / Eclair Pastry Recipe
- 65 g (1/2 cup) All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 55 g (4 tbsp) Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 Eggs
For Vanilla Pastry Cream Filling:
- 3/4 cup Whole Milk
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
For Chocolate Icing:
- 2 tbsp Dark Chocolate
- 4 tbsp Heavy Cream
To make Eclair:
- In a bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt. Keep it aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat Butter and water, let it come to boil.
- Remove from heat and add flour. Stir continuously til mixed.
- Put it back on low flame and stir till dough comes away from the sides of the pan and forms a ball.
- Let it cool down for 5 minutes to lukewarm.
- Now add 1 Egg at a time and stir till its mixed well. Do it for rest of the Eggs.
- Dough should be in a ribbon consistency when your pour.
- Prepare a piping bag by either placing a round nozzle or just trim the edge to round shape.
- Fill the piping bag with the dough.
- Cut the parchment paper in the same size of the cookie tray in which you are going to bake.
- Draw 9.5cm lines spacing alternatively in the cut parchment paper.
- Turn the parchment and start piping the dough on the lines.
- Bake it for 15 minutes or until its nice golden brown.
- Let it cool completely.
To make Vanilla Pastry Cream:
- In a bowl, mix sugar, flour and salt.
- Add the Egg Yolks to the above mixture and combine till thick paste.
- Warm the Milk, not to boil.
- Pour the hot milk little by little into the Egg mixture and combine. Continue until all milk is finished off.
- Add Vanilla Extract.
- Put back on heat and stir to form a thick cream.
- Strain it to remove any lumps. Let it cool down in a jar.
- To avoid forming a layer on top, close the cream directly on the surface using a parchment paper.
For Chocolate Icing:
- Heat the cream and pour it on the Chocolate.
- If the chocolate didn't melt completely, put it in a double boil and mix till smooth liquid.
- Place all three components on to the work surface.
- Turn the Eclair on its back and poke it in two place so that you can fill it.
- Place the pastry cream in a piping bag with a round nozzle.
- Fill all the Eclairs. Dip each of it in the chocolate icing so that only the top is covered with icing.
- Decorate it with some sprinkles and serve.
Notes to make this Easiest Eclair Pastry with step by step pictures:
- To keep it so simple, bake the Eclair and dip it in Salted Caramel sauce or Dulce de Leche and its ready. Don’t worry about the decoration and stuff.
- You can store the eclair dough for up to 3 days in fridge or 3 months in freezer.
- Vanilla Pastry cream can be made ahead and stored in freezer. you can use it in various desserts or in Boston Cream Cupcakes.
- For topping, you can use leftover melted Ganache.
- You can use this same dough to make Choux Pastry, its just a variation in shape. Pipe it like small droplets to make Choux.