I have done enough of Maida cookies for this Christmas, and so this Easy Whole Wheat Shortbread Cookies is for my son who loves cookies.
Nowadays, my Son always carves for some cookies when he takes his snacks box to school. I prefer to avoid store bought cookies because of Maida and other leavening agent. Always I bake it myself and try to make it a bit healthy.
Coming back to the recipe, Shortbread Cookies are a classic cookies that’s made with Maida/All Purpose Flour. It’s a traditional Scottish biscuit, that’s made with one part sugar, two parts butter and three parts oat flour. Modern recipes differ much from this.
Since I am done with all the traditional recipes for this season, I wanted to make it a little bit different and healthy. In particular, I wanted to bake with whole wheat flour. So here is the easy whole wheat shortbread cookies!!
If you have been following me for a while, you might have known that I have been baking with a group of bloggers in for this whole month of December. Where we all share baked recipes, 3 posts per week. To get in touch with other bloggers you can check below.
Check out my other cookie recipes:
Tag me if you try this recipe in Instagram or Facebook using #bittybakes.
Whole Wheat Shortbread Cookies
- 113 g (1/2 cup) Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Icing/Confectioners Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 120 g (1 cup) Whole Wheat Flour
- Measure and Sift the flour at least 2 times.
- Using an electric beater, beat Butter till creamy.
- Sift the Icing sugar to remove any lumps. Add it in to creamy butter.
- Beat well till mixed.
- Add Flour little by little and beat well till incorporated.
- Split the dough into three parts and add cranberry, pistachio and matcha to each.
- Shape the each dough into log, 2 inches in diameter.
- Cling wrap the dough and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- After an hour, preheat the oven to 180 C for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a Cookie Tray with parchment paper.
- Slice the dough into 1/3 inch thickness and place it on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are slight brown.
- Once baked, let it stay in the tray for 2 minutes before shifting it to the cooling rack.
Check out the other bloggers doing this Bake-a-thon
16 thoughts on “Easy Whole Wheat Shortbread Cookies”
The beauty of shortbread is that you can make one dough and customize it the way you want… love all the flavors incorporated, and yes baking a lot of with all purpose flour does make me feel guilty too… hehe…
Beautiful clicks and I am loving these cookies . These Scottish cookies are my all time favourite ones . A recipe with wheat flour is truly a treasure recipe . Bookmarking !
Omg, those cookies looks absolutely fabulous and extremely scrumptious. Beautifull and dangerously delicious. Seriously am completely lost with those adorable cookies.
Beautiful capture,the cookies are so addictive.Cookies with wheat flour sounds healthy and guilt free.
Totally love the idea of making three types of cookies with one basic dough. Made with whole wheat flour, these cookies are so good and healthy too.
Absolutely scrumptious and beautifully baked cookies!!! I never used matcha in cookies, next time I am going to try in cookies!!
The whole setup looks stunning and so pretty!…very nicely done cookies too..
Such a simple and delicious shortbread cookie recipe. Love that you made them with wholewheat flour.
I like all the different flavors you have. Together they look so festive. Nice recipe with whole flour.
Whole wheat definitely adds a healthy touch to these cookies and love the variations you presented.
This whole wheat shortbread cookies looks scrumptious. Beautiful click.
Love all the three flavors of the cookies. Making it with wwf is a great idea.
We love WWF cookies, recently made a batch for my lil one! Love all the flavors here! that matcha is very eye-catching!!!
wow..whole wheat shortbread cookies is looking so good. Perfectly baked and loved the variations
Comments are closed.