Are you allergic to gluten? Are you in a hunt for gluten free recipes? You are in for a treat. Because, this blog is all about mouth-watering Gluten Free Almond Chocolate Cake. Relish on this dessert when you get sweet tooth cravings. What makes this a healthy dessert? Take a look!
What is gluten?
For those who do not know why is gluten free essential, first you need to know what is gluten. Gluten is basically a family of proteins that are present in grains like barley, wheat etc. In other words, gluten is what makes the dough elastic. Gluten proteins have low nutritional value and are not essential for human diet!
So, if you are one of them who loves gluten free food, this recipe is for you. In this recipe, I have not used wheat or all purpose flour for making gluten free chocolate cake. Instead I have just used almonds. We all know that dry fruits are healthy. But, did you know what are the health benefits of almonds? Vitamins, proteins, fiber, minerals – you get all of this in almonds. And, you know what’s better? The taste of it. Almonds are one of the tastiest ingredients that can be used for desserts.
Along with almonds, dark chocolate is used in this recipe to make it more tasty, healthy and special. Have you noticed that people recommend to have chocolate when you are stressed? It is not because it is tasty, it is because it brings up your mood instantly. Dark chocolate improves the brain function and the blood flow. After hearing these many health benefits, I know that you cannot ignore this recipe. So, let us get right into the recipe of gluten free chocolate cake!
Below is the reference for Natural Low carb Sweeteners from joyfilledeats.com.
Here is a little background on the ingredients in this natural low carb sweeteners blend:
Xylitol is a natural sweetener. It is a sugar alcohol made from birch trees or corncobs. It has 40% fewer calories than sugar and is a 7 on the glycemic index (white sugar is a 64). Please note that xylitol can be fatal to dogs so don’t share treats containing xylitol with your furry friends.
Erythritol is a sugar alcohol like xylitol. It occurs naturally in some fruits and vegetables It has zero calories and no impact on blood sugar. It is it is produced from glucose by fermentation with yeast.
Stevia is a plant discovered in South America. To make stevia powder a water extraction method is typically used. Stevia is 100 to 200 times sweeter than sugar so a little goes a long way.
You can mix above 3 in the ratio mentioned and use it in this recipe:
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp Erythritol
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp Xylitol
- 1 tsp Stevia
Gluten Free Almond Chocolate Cake
- 120 g Almonds
- 120 g Dark Chocolate
- 120 g (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp) Unsalted Butter
- 120 g (1/3 + 1/3 cup) Diabetic Friendly Sugar (refer notes)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- Preheat the oven to 200 C for 10 minutes. Prepare a spring foam pan by applying some butter and parchment paper.
- Add the Whole Almonds in the mixer grinder and make fine powder (pulse it not more than 10 seconds at a time). Reserve it.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler till smooth. Let it come to room temperature.
- Separate Egg whites and yolks.
- Beat Egg whites till stiff peaks and reserve.
- Add the sugar and yolks to chocolate mix.
- Add in Orange Zest. Whisk till combined.
- Whisk in the ground almonds in to it.
- Fold in the Egg whites gently till mixed.
- Pour it in prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool and serve it with some almond flakes.