Vanilla!! As it sounds very simple, don’t underestimate its flavor. The Vanilla Extract will have strong Vanilla flavor. So make your own Vanilla Extract using best ingredients available. Here is a homemade vanilla extract Recipe without alcohol.
You can definitely find the difference between a good quality Vanilla Extract and a local vanilla essence. The Former is made directly from Vanilla Beans and the later is just chemically infused with vanilla flavor.
Vanilla Extract is fun and simple to make at home. It really does take a long time to get its full flavor into the extract. So it gets better when you store it for long. There are different kinds of Vanilla bean and you get different taste accordingly. I used my vanilla extract to make 3 ingredient vanilla Ice cream.
How to make Vanilla Extract with Alcohol:
Add Vanilla Bean to Plain Vodka to make vanilla extract using alcohol. In a glass jar add 3-4 split vanilla beans, add 1 cup of Vodka to it and its ready for aging process. Shake well and age it.
Clean the bottle very well before using it. Here is a link from wikihow of how to clean glass bottle, i use the method two that cleans using vinegar and salt.
How to make Vanilla Sugar:
Don’t discard the Vanilla Beans in the extract, just add it to a jar of Sugar to make vanilla sugar. Those Beans will still have a lot of flavor and wonderful vanilla smell. Shake the jar every two days for a week and Vanilla Sugar is ready. Same aging process applies here, the longer you store, the vanilla flavor gets more intensified. You can use this sugar in pannacotta or any other desserts.
Vanilla Extract with just 3 ingredients (alcohol free)
- 60 ml Water
- 3 Vanilla Bean medium size
- 160 ml Edible Vegetable Glycerin
To make Vanilla Sugar:
- 2 cup Sugar
- 5 Used Vanilla Bean
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, add Water and let it come to boil.
- Split the bean using a scissor, and scrape the seeds with a knife.
- Add the seeds to the boiling water and let it boil for a minute.
- Let it cool down completely and then add glycerin. Mix well.
- Using a funnel, add the extract to a clean glass air tight bottle.
- Rest the extract 3-4 months so that it gets infused. Shake the bottle every 3 days.
To make Vanilla Sugar:
- After 4 months, take out the Vanilla bean and use it to make Vanilla sugar.
- In a jar add the vanilla beans and fill 3/4th with Sugar.
- Shake it for every 2 days for a week.
- Vanilla Sugar is ready to use.
- Transfer the Vanilla Sugar to another jar.
- Fill the vanilla bean jar with more sugar and repeat again until you use all the Vanilla flavor.