I planned to write this post long before and finally it’s here. That’s “how to make Ghee” at home. Ghee is another key ingredient, that we use daily. The Only key ingredient is Butter and you can also check my “How to make Butter” recipe. Instead of buying Ghee from grocery store, you can make it at home very easily.
Process to make ghee is just boiling Butter. It’s very simple to hear, right!! But note down the tips and tricks to make perfect Ghee below. It’s a very pure and healthy form of fat that you can use in all recipes instead of oil. Now lets see how to make ghee.
How to make Ghee
- 200 g Butter
- Wash Butter 2-3 times and put it in a heavy bottom pan. You can use either homemade butter or store bought one.
- Let the Butter start to boil.
- Mix it only once with a silver spatula. Don't mix often.
- Then let it boil in low flame.
- The Butter will slowly start to clear out and turn into Ghee.
- The boiling will slow down and you can see the bottom of the pan very clear.
- That's when you will know Ghee is ready.
Points to Remember:
- Always use fresh Butter to make Ghee. If the butter is too old you may not get that luxury smell of Ghee.
- Wash Butter twice or thrice to discard the extras.
- Once the Butter starts to boil, keep it in low flame.
- The sound and frothiness of the boiling butter will slowly start to reduce and you can see the clear liquid once the ghee is ready.
- The Edges of the pan will turn light brown color when it’s done.
- I suggest using the Iron Skillet since it can hold a lot of heat.
- Add 1 tsp of fenugreek or 1 spring of Curry leaf just before turning off the flame. This will bring out more smell of Ghee.