How are the Christmas celebrations? Want to try baking something new? Try Panettone – Italian Christmas Bread this time. You are going to love it. We know that most of the breads and desserts were born in France. But, this Panettone is a celebrated Christmas cake in southern, western and southeastern Europe. This cylindrical shaped cake is a must try for this Christmas.
When I first heard of Panettone – Italian Christmas bread, I was surprised that I have never heard of it before despite being a baker. Baking is like that. The more you dig, the more recipes you can explore. Traditional bakes are treasures and Panettone is one such recipe which has been celebrated for years and years.
Most of the Christmas cakes needs soaked fruits. But, Panettone is usually made with dry raisins, lemon zest and orange which gives rich flavor to the entire cake. This is not too sweet. It is yummy and buttery! I have used a rise method for this recipe which is easy and simple to try. If you research on Panettone recipes, you can find a lot of long and complicated recipes which includes rising, kneading and doing these same things again and again. I have tried Panettone several times and have simplified the recipe for you which requires only one rise. You can thank me later for saving a lot of your time and energy.
Check out my Classic Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe that’s just flavor packed with 1 year old rum soak!
Panettone – Italian Christmas bread is not just specific to Christmas. In most of the countries this is consumed for breakfast with a cup of coffee or pumpkin sauce. This straightforward recipe is simple, yet gives the rich taste. Why waste our time? Let’s dig right in!
Panettone - Italian Christmas Bread
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp Yeast
- 4 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 170 g (3/4 cup) Butter
- 1 1/8 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 tbsp Orange Zest
- 1 1/2 cup Raisins/ Currants
- 1/2 cup Nuts Optional
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter For brushing
- 1 Egg For Egg Wash
- Sift Flour and set aside.
- Add warm Milk, 1 tbsp sugar and yeast.
- In that add in 1 cup flour.
- Let it froth for 15-20 minutes.
- In another bowl, Whisk Butter, sugar, salt, egg, yolks, vanilla, orange juice and zest.
- Once yeast is frothy, add it to this mixture.
- Mix it till incorporated.
- Add in Flour 1 cup at a time.
- Mix it all and make a dough.
- It will be a sticky dough, Place it in a floured work surface.
- Knead for 5 minutes.
- Add in Currants and nuts if using.
- Use a scrapper and start kneading using fold method.
- Add flour if its too sticky. Knead it and make it smooth.
- Prepare the pans in which you are baking panettone. Apply thick parchment papers on the sides to lift up the dough.
- Paper should be higher than the pan sides. so you can get tall panettones.
- Make the dough to balls and place it in the prepared pans.
- Brush the melted butter on the panettones.
- Let it raise in a hot place for at least 3-4 hours until its double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C for 10 min.
- Whisk the egg for egg wash.
- Just before baking apply egg wash.
- Bake it for 20-30 minutes until it has got browned top.
- Serve warm with more nuts.