Panna cotta, always a classic Italian Dessert that can be flavored with Vanilla, Coffee or Chocolate. Most of the time its made with Vanilla Bean, so that the specs of vanilla shows up in the white jelly. So I made it the same way using vanilla bean, Simple Vanilla Panna cotta Recipe.
Know about Gelatin:
Gelatin is tiny crystals, that has no flavor and used to thicken the mixture. To activate, it should be first sprinkled over ice cold water and then heated up to melt or added to hot cream. And then whisked to melt it completely.
Here in Panna cotta, the softened gelatin is added to hot cream and sugar mixture. And then let it set in the fridge for at least 2 hrs.
Top Your Panna Cotta with:
Basic Vanilla Panna Cotta can be topped with anything you like. It goes well with Chocolate ganache, caramel sauce, any berry compote, or to keep it simple go with fresh fruits. I made Wild Jamun Compote, since I loved the color.
Simple Vanilla Panna Cotta
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Ice cold water
- 1 heaped tsp Granulated Gelatin
- 250 ml (1 Cup) Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Sugar (If your cream is sugar free, add 2 more tbsp of sugar)
- 1/2 Vanilla Bean split or Vanilla Extract
- Sprinkle Gelatin over the ice cold water and let it stand for 5 min to soften.
- In a sauce pan, heat all other ingredients and stir until sugar melts.
- Remove from heat and save the Vanilla bean to make vanilla sugar.
- Mix in the softened gelatin to the cream. If its not dissolved, heat it again until completely melted. Don't let it boil.
- Pour the cream in greased ramekins or glasses to serve.
- Let it sit for at least 2 hrs in fridge.
- To un mold from ramekins, use a sharp knife and run through the edges.
- Place it in slightly hot water for a minute and un mold it in plates.
- Serve it with fresh fruits, caramel sauce, ganache or any compote. Check the recipe for berry compote here.