Its Christmas and so its time for celebration. Celebration means its always with sweets. When you are on a low carb diet, its better to go for sugar free cookies instead of high carb sweet. So try these sugar and gluten free gingerbread cookies.
No surprise, Almond flour/meal is the main flour replacement in low carb. You can buy best quality flour, but I usually make my own. Check my method of making almond meal.
Erythritol as Sweetener:
The sweetener I used here is Erythritol. There are many other natural sweeteners, you can use a blend of stevia and erythritol. Erythritol measures spoon for spoon in place of regular white sugar. So its easy to use it for baking.
I used 4 tbsp of erythritol here, you can always adjust the amount of sweetness according to your taste.
If the dough is too sticky add more almond flour/meal, if dry add a little bit of water. The dough is a bit tricky to roll out, so place it in between 2 parchment paper and roll it.
The Classic Gingerbread Cookies is decorated with Royal icing. Here I used Dark chocolate for decorating.
Gluten free gingerbread cookies
- 50 g Butter
- 3 tbsp Erythritol or more
- 1 Egg
- 150 g Almond Meal
- 2 tbsp Coconut flour
- 1 tbsp Psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Beat Butter and sweetener to pale color.
- Add egg and vanilla extract. Beat until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- If the dough is too sticky, add more almond flour. If its too dry add a bit of water.
- Place the dough in a parchment paper and place another paper on top and then roll it. Remove the parchment paper and cut in required shape.
- Place everything on a lined tray and bake for 15 min or until its brown around the edges.
- If you would like it more crispy then bake for 2 more minutes.