Usually Fruit Cakes are the best! And coming to this Upside-down Whole Wheat Pineapple Cake, its very healthy since I used Whole Wheat Flour and Brown Sugar.
Pineapple is one fruit that’s available in all season. Once they starts to smell and turn light yellowish, that’s when they are fully ripen.
I remember my school days, when I eat lots of spicy pineapple slices. And scream for water when my lips start itching. In my school days, I get 50 rupee as pocket money for a week. All the time I buy chocolates, till I found these spicy pineapple slices in a road side shop. They are so tasty when you add some chilli powder and salt.
This finely chopped will get dressed up in chilli powder and salt, while the remaining half will go in to the Upside-down Whole Wheat Pineapple Cake recipe.
Its a no frosting required Cake since the beauty of pineapple slices takes it all over. I decorated with some Cashews, you can use any nuts. I used fresh slices of Pineapple, you can always use the canned one also.
Upside-down Pineapple Cake
- 120 g (1 Cup) Whole Wheat Flour (120g)
- 1 Egg
- 60 g (1/4 Cup) Butter
- 100 g (1/3 + 1/4 Cup) Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla / Pineapple Extract
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 c Milk
For the Topping:
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar (or more according to your taste)
- 1/2 Pineapple Slices
- Preheat Oven to 200 C. Sift Flour, Baking Powder and Baking Soda.
- Beat Butter and Sugar till creamy.
- Add Egg and Extract, Mix well.
- Start adding Flour and milk alternatively starting and ending with flour.
- Prepare a 7" Pan by applying 4 tbsp Butter and sprinkle the brown sugar.
- Place the Sliced Pineapple and then pour the batter.
- Bake at 200 C for 20-30 min or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- You can use fresh or canned Pineapples.
- Don’t cut out the butter that goes as topping, because that helps to keep your cake moist. (Easily releases from the bottom)
- You can substitute All purpose Flour in place of wheat flour.
- Also substitute Regular Sugar instead of Brown Sugar.