Are you experienced enough to call yourself a baker? If your answer is yes, then you are set to bake Yuzu Castella Cake. Do not want to scare you. But, if you can bake this perfectly, you can certify yourself as a fantastic baker. Any recipe is simple as long as you know the techniques. So, are you ready to take up the challenge?
Looking back at the history of Yuzu Castella Cake, it’s a famous Japanese sponge cake which was brought through Nagasaki by Portuguese merchants from Spain. It is named after Castilla Monarchy. This aromatic, soft delicacy can be used as a dessert or you can just munch with some hot coffee since it has spongy texture and subtle sweet taste.
Though I mentioned that this recipe is quite complicated, I have tried to make it as simple as I can. I have included all the tips and tricks to use it while baking. Oh yeah, I now do know the easy tips because it took 3 trials for me to bake a successful Yuzu Castella Cake.
Check out my Insta Video to see how this cake springs back!!
Here are few other recipes that you may like
Tips and Tricks to bake Yuzu Castella cake!
- Beating egg whites – Clean the bowl before you add in the whites. When you separate the whites, if there is a bit of yolk, then start from first. Start on slow speed, add in lemon when its frothy. Add sugar 1 tbsp at a time, on medium speed. Once sugar is done, turn to beat it on high speed until you get stiff peaks.
- Folding – Once both whites and yolk mixture is ready, add stiff whites little by little at time. Fold in gently as if you don’t knock out any air bubbles. Fold in just till mixed.
- Water bath – Once batter is ready, pour it in a square pan. Find a pan that is bigger than the other pan, add hot water to it and bake at 150 C for 50-60 minutes.
- Temperature – Oven Temperature shouldn’t be more than 150 C.
- Tap the pan – Once batter is poured in the baking pan, tap it twice on the floor. Repeat this once the cake is baked, as soon as out of the oven.
I have used Ossoro’s Yuzu flavor for this Yuzu Castella cake. It adds a great flavor to the recipe and makes it taste the way it should. Always impressed by Ossoro’s flavors. If you are going to get this recipe right in the first go, you owe a standing ovation from me. So, shall we see the procedure of making this?
Yuzu Castella Cake
- 35 g Unsalted Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 43 g (1/3 cup) All purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Juice
- 60 g (1/3 cup) Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 150 C for 10 min. Prepare a square pan with butter and dusting with flour.
- Melt the butter, salt, sugar till dissolved.
- Mix in flours and milk.
- Add in Ossoro's Yuzu Classic Flavor.
- Add in Egg yolks and mix and reserve.
- In another bowl, beat Egg Whites till foamy.
- Add in Lemon juice and mix.
- Add sugar 1 tbsp at a time and beat till everything is done.
- Beat on high speed till stiff peaks.
- Fold this to yolk mixture, only 1/3 cup at a time.
- Fold in slow and gentle just till mixed.
- Pour in the prepared pan, tap the pan to release extra air bubbles.
- Prepare a water bath in a bigger pan.
- Bake at 150 C for 50-60 minutes, until top is nice and golden brown.
- Once out of oven, tap it twice.
- Let it cool before slicing.
Give this a try and let me know how was your first time experience baking this. Also, if you have already tried this before, comment below and let me know if you got it right. Waiting to hear your story of baking this. See you again with another interesting blog. Happy baking!